Potassium Monopersulfate

Potassium monopersulfate is used as an auxiliary oxidant (shocking agent) in swimming pools and spas for the purpose of reducing the organic content of the water. It is the active ingredient in most non-chlorine shock products designed for use in swimming pools, and it’s the active ingredient in essentially all non-chlorine shock products formulated for use in spas and hot tubs. Shock products containing potassium monopersulfate provides many benefits.
>> It will not produce chloramines or generate irritating chloramines odors
>> It can promotes maximum sanitizer efficiency by oxidizing and eliminating contaminant waste
>> It restores sparkle and clarity
>> It is gentle on pool surfaces—dissolves quickly and completely and will not bleach or fade vinyl liners or painted surfaces
>> It will not raise calcium hardness or increase cyanuric acid stabilizer levels
>> It is easy to use—simply broadcast uniformly over pool water surface, with filter running, to ensure complete mixing and circulation
Potassium monopersulfate fits easily into most water treatment programs for all types of pools and spas and provides sufficient oxidation to enhance sanitizer efficiencies and produce clear, sparkling water.
Potassium monopersulfate can be added to pool water day or night, and swimming can resume after a short waiting period to allow for adequate mixing and dispersion throughout the pool. No mixing is required—potassium monopersulfate is completely soluble in water and dissolves quickly. Broadcast monopersulfate shock slowly and uniformly over the surface of the water, adding about two-thirds of the total dose over the deep end. Shock with the filter running to ensure complete mixing and good circulation.
How to use potassium monopersulfate?
>> For residential swimming pools; For pools with moderate daily use, add potassium monopersulfate weekly at a dose of
500 gr. for a pool of  40m3 (normal pool size).  More frequent and/or heavier doses may be required when bather loads are extremely heavy or following heavy rains or high winds.
>> For public swimming pools; A good starting point is to shock weekly with 500-1000gr. of potassium monopersulfate per
40m3 of pool water. The dose required and the shock frequency will depend largely on the bather load.
>> For spas; Potassium monopersulfate should be added to spa water after every use, at a dose of about 1 Tablespoon (21 gr.) /m3 one to two ounces per 250 gallons, to immediately oxidize and eliminate organic contaminants introduced by bathers. Public spas which are used every day may need to oxidize with potassium monopersulfate daily.
back to FAQ